Saturday, October 17, 2009

Caleb Update

What an emotional roller coaster!!! Yesterday was frustrating, his ICP (interal cranial pressure) was high all day with no reason as to why. The doctors didn't know why either, his CT scan came back the same as the others, there was no change. It is the unknown that is frustating and scary. All they could tell us is to wait and give it time. (It has now been 8 days, that is a long time for a mom, to have her child in a coma (fyi-it is a grade 7 coma). (Also hard for dads, not trying to discriminate.) We just want him awake and the breathing tube out! We want to be able to talk to him and see that awesome smile!)
Today though has us hopeful. Caleb has been some what awake for a few short periodes of time. He has been opening his eyes and looking around. This morning he was able to give the nurse a thumbs up. That is so encouraging. He was able to squeeze our hands when we asked him to. He also tries to pull the breathing tube out anytime that he is awake. I don't blame him though, I would also.
Today, Kurt talked with one of the senior ICU doctors and the head neurosergeon about Caleb's condtion and their plan for the next few days. So now, the game plan for tomorrow is to reduce his sedatives 50% and slowly let him start waking up. They expressed their concerns about the CT scan and there uncertianty about the damage that has been done to his brain. They have never had a case like this. But, both doctors feel he is progessing and are optimistic about his recovery. Hopefully, I will have some good news tomorrow!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for all the prayers and thoughts. It is so touching to hear of all the support from everyone. You don't realize the amount of love and support you have from everyone until something bad happens, it is so nice. Our family truly feels loved. I am in awe of the generosity of everyone!!! I don't think I can ever say enough Thank yous!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I can't express how happy I am to hear the news of a thumbs up! I am aware that all of you still have a long road head though. Stay strong and hang in there. You have all of our love and support. Please do not hesitate to call if you need anything at all!!!!!! Try to get some rest.
~Latona and family

Unknown said...

Dear Rachel and Family,
We have been so concerned since we heard the news and our love and prayers go out to you. We wait for updates and have your entire family on our minds. We love you guys. Hang in there.
Love,
Matt and Kelli Jaggi Nelson and boys

mines family said...

Dear Rachel and family,
We are so glad that today was a bit better for you. We will take any good news and progess! Please know that we are praying for you all. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you from Utah.
Love you lots and lots
Uncle Grant, Aunt Maridean and family

Diamond in the Rough said...

Rachel,

So glad there has been some improvement. You and Kurt hang in there. We will keep praying for Caleb and your sweet family. Thinking Happy Thoughts for you guys too :)!!!

Tylar and Ryann's world said...

Rach and family - I love you all, hope you can have some peace through this journey. I was glad I could come and give you hugs but was so sad to leave. I am so happy to hear about Calebs thumbs up, what a relief it must by for you all. Hang in there, you have been so strong and I am amazed at your strength. Love you all